For over 25 years, I have specialised in writing and editing magazine features and consumer health information on a wide range of health topics and lifestyle issues (see below for my list of current and past clients). I have also edited memoir, fiction and non-fiction books.
I have worked on a freelance basis for magazines, websites, publishers, charities, organisations, companies and authors.
I have a BSc. in Biomedical Science and an MSc. in Science Communication.
I was given an Honourable Mention in the DHH Literary Agency New Voices Award 2019 in September 2019.
You can see a small selection of the articles and projects I have worked on in recent years by visiting my Contently profile. I am available for writing and copy-editing projects, including consumer health and popular science books, magazine and website features, patient information and community pharmacy training materials. If you would like to discuss a project with me, please fill in the form on the Contact me page or email email@example.com.
I have extensive experience in:
- commissioning, writing and editing editorial features and news pages
- writing for consumer magazines and community pharmacy magazines
- writing, updating and referencing patient information resources (websites, booklets and leaflets)
- writing and editing health, self-help and lifestyle books (and book chapters)
- researching, writing and referencing consumer health information using reputable medical sources
- editing consumer health magazines and supplements
- writing community pharmacy training materials and modules
- writing for weekly part-works (parenting and baby healthcare)
- writing and editing information on websites and blogs
- writing community pharmacy e-learning modules
My past and present client list includes:
- Bupa (consumer health information)
- Holland & Barrett website (The Health Hub)
- Mirror Books – copy-editing memoir (e.g. 34 Years in Hell by Jamie Morgan Kane)
- Communications International Group (Pharmacy magazine, Independent Community Pharmacist, Training Matters and P3 magazine)
- Ebury/Vermilion (updating the bestselling baby healthcare book Your Baby Week by Week by Dr Caroline Fertleman and Simone Cave)
- Versus Arthritis’s Inspire magazine
- Occupational Health [At Work] Journal
- Cow & Gate (consumer information)
- Babycentre website
- UniChem (Healthy Times consumer magazine)
- Allergies magazine
- Good Housekeeping
- Top Santé
- Mother & Baby
- Pregnancy & Birth
- Emma’s Diary website
- Dorling Kindersley health books
- Macmillan health books and encyclopaedias
- Marshall Editions (The Guide to Women’s Health and Wellness)
- Freelance Health Editor for Bupa (current)
- Editor and Co-Founder of The Menopause Exchange (current)
- Freelance Proofreader for Orenda Books (current)
- Freelance Editor and Proofreader for Mirror Books (current)
- Freelance Proofreader for Gallic Books (current)
- Freelance Editor for the Babycentre UK website
- Consultant Editor on Your Body magazine
- Editorial Consultant, Editor and Consultant Editor on Healthy Times (UniChem’s consumer magazine)
- Consultant Editor on the Family Doctor series of health books (published in association with the British Medical Association)
- Freelance Copy-editor, Writer & Proofreader for Brown Packaging, working on science and family health encyclopaedias.